theglenster

Re: New Work

and some renders showing the texturing

Imagepicupload

Imagedirect upload

jhatch

Glen, That is really amazing! I would love to hear more about how you created that. Scary good.

theglenster

thanks Jim, glad you like it :)

ive modelled it using only photos i found on the net, everything is done by eye. with each object i would compare the proportions with parts ive already modelled or with other photos to get a feeling for the scale, detail and texture. luckily there is alot of photos of the 300 sl, my reference folder contains 1116 images!

i did not note how long it took, but a seriously long time was spend just searching for reference. its amazing how a small change to a search input can throw up a photo of a part you have been searching for for ages!

i started it when i first started being serious with 3d about 10 years ago. i started with the outside visable stuff, body interior etc, but kinda carried on as i was finding so much photos of the chassis and engine. there has been many years where i have not touched it.
this year for example, i started to texture it in jan, i used all my free time over 3 months to create all the shaders and texturing, i did one large part or a bunch of smaller parts each evening, and since then ive not touched it.
but next week ive promised myself to start to finish it. "all" i need to do is render and do the photoshop work to turn it into a finished work. i guess i will need untill end of jan.
i will be rendering at 10k and ive roughly calculated i will need about 200 renders. not even sure my PC or even PS can handle that.
planning on 2 images, one from the front and one from the back so a ****ing lot of rendering. wont need to put the heating on over winter!

theglenster

here is a project from earlier this year...

ImageKostenloses Bilderhosting

jhatch

Hey Glen,

Thanks for the info! That is very interesting and really beautiful.

Good luck finishing it up!

Jim

Stevenwhoward

Finally I can share this with you guys! This is an animation I worked hard for a month to create at my company for a proposal. This is the most detailed 3D model I have built/animated yet (so check it out at the highest resolution).

My animation/3D model: Psyche Spacecraft Deployment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GIuYSUcFd4

Let me know what you think of my animation in the link above.

The model was then implemented into another artist's animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTBfNQXSbJo

abrown

Here's an Allison v-3420:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-sfto8XxIfMc/ ... 0/alsn.jpg

Merry Christmas, everyone.

theglenster

really amazing work abrown.
what is your reference? and are you modelling with nurbs or polys?

abrown

Hi Glen, for reference I used as many photos as I could find. Luckily I found a number of museum turn-around sets. I modeled it with polygons and nurbs. I build a rough draft with polygons, and then build a final draft using solid modeling, using the rough draft as a reference. Most of this was done in blender and a very old version of solidworks (1999). I used Natron to composite the renderings.

By the way, I'm very impressed by your images. You have so much texture detail in those pictures-- even the smaller parts on the dash of the car.

Hey, Steven-- that satellite model is fantastic. You have a very interesting job.

JamesProvost

Really great stuff! Well done guys!

Return to “General”